Monday 15 November 2010

Waiting for a letter


2203789 AC2 Harris R
Intake NO.18. Hut NO. 154
“E” Flight  No 2 Squadron
   6 February 1943                                                                No1 R.T.W. No 3 R.C.
RAF Station, Padgate.
Nr. Warrington ,Lancs

Dear Mother,
I have written the address again so that  you will not forget it  - apparently you have as I have not received a letter from you yet. Still, I’ll forgive you because it may be delayed in the post. Knowing Barlick’s train service that is very possible.
                        We were all inoculated and vaccinated this morning and are spending the afternoon in bed, are we glad to have the afternoon off!  I am attending mass tomorrow morning definitely, our flight being on Church Parade.
Please tell me if the writing is illegible, ink will not take to this notepaper that is why I write in pencil.
            The whole flight went on the parade ground and did 2 ½ hours “square bashing” at a stretch but we had a cup of tea at mid-morning so were quite satisfied.
            I shall not be able to go out of the camp tomorrow after all. We were depending on winning a pass-out by having the cleanest and tidiest hut. We came second,  so we get a kick in the pants.
            How is everyone at home, working hard right now, I bet. Do you visit Mr. Aspinalls? If so, just let me know his telephone number, then I might able to ring you up on Thursdays at I doubt this very much because I shall be on my training course. Of course, you could to be there at, say when I could ring you. Tell me what you think.
                        Well, I will close with fondest love to all,
Raymond
P.S. Ask Theo to translate this – to himself


Ray

P.P.S. I’m still waiting for that letter
                                                            R

No comments:

Post a Comment