Sunday 14 November 2010

Photo like dad and pay day

2203789 AC2 Harris R
Intake NO.18. Hut NO. 145
“E” Flight  No 2 Squadron
   2 February 1943                                                                No1 R.T.W. No 3 R.C.
RAF Station, Padgate.
Nr. Warrington ,Lancs
Dear Mother,
                       This is in answer to your last but one letter which I received, together with Syd’s and Jess’s, yesterday. Glad you have had some decent weather for a change, we are having a spell of weather free from rain – as much a change here as in Barlick. I hope to find out soon what the climate is like in Canada if that is what you mean for your mysterious request for a smile.

Talking about smiles, I was asked to do same on Saturday before last by the photographer, the results, which I called for last night are amazing to say the least. Sorry I cannot send them to you yet, until I can get some post card sized envelopes. Can you send me two or three in your next letter?
                The first point that struck me when I saw them was my likeness to Dad in his younger days. Maybe you will notice the likeness yourself. I only went to the shop with a pal (not Harry).  We all have been taken separately.
     Was it Marion or Jessie Kippase who went to Scotland? You see, I wrote to Marion, being Secretary of the Youth club, so if she has gone up Jessie may as well open it. It is pay day again tomorrow – about time: hope you enjoyed the whist drive on Saturday night, did you win any prizes? We have one on here tonight but I am resting after another route march. I am getting to enjoy these route marches now, settling down to them more.
                 Sid has not a great deal to look forward to, that is, without Jess: on the whole he will like it though, if he does not expect too much. That is the secret of how I have got on so well.
     The Griffin Hotel has not such a great attraction for me, having only been in twice. “Smokey Joe’s” snack bar is much better, I called there last night and had a grand meal – real home cooking (non- alcoholic) Lovely ground coffee and beautiful sweet apple pie. Altogether, we had a great time.
                     That’s all for now, lots of love
                                                             Ray

[I would guess that the photo at the top of the blog is the one that Uncle Ray is talking about in this letter, ed.]

No comments:

Post a Comment