Tuesday 16 November 2010

Brother John, why don't you write?

Letter to my dad (John)
2203780
31 – January – 1943
Dear John
            Don’t you think that it is about time that you wrote? We don’t know how things are going on down there [Coventry ed] or what things are going on for that matter. I will now give you the opportunity of sending me some parcels, with cigarettes in them.
            You must be well aware of the situation, being regularly supplied with letters from home.
            My official designation is now:-
22307
A.C. Harris R;
R.A.F.
and my address is – SOMEWHERE IN ENGLAND. Until I am posted to my “square-bashing” unit. This is approximately my 12th letter since I came here on 22nd.
            What about keeping up the family tradition or maybe you are invaluable to the war effort -  gercha. I’m glad that you are not in the aircraft trade, not wanting to be brought down in flames. Of course with my recently gathered knowledge of floor scrubbing, dish washing, potato peeling and kit-packing (invaluable for air-crew duties) I should bring the plane safely home.
            By the way, how is everyone, (no-one in particular) in general? The morale of the population of this country rose in coincidence  with my calling-up.
            There was some grand beer in the NAFFI canteen here, I celebrated on Thursday last with a lad from Barlick – a mere rookie, he was, arrived the same day. We had a grand time, and I repeat that was some grand beer in the NAFFI.
            That’s all for now, best of luck for the future,
                        Your loving brother,
                                                Ray
                                                            T.T.F.N.

No comments:

Post a Comment