Wednesday 17 November 2010

Ray gets three letters!

2203780
ADDRESS AS USUAL
9-2-43
19.30
Dear Mother Father and Theo,
            (I expect a letter from each of you for this,)
Received three very welcome letters this dinner-time, thanks very much for two of them – yours and Jess. You must have forgotten in your excitement at Jack coming, to let me know how everyone at home is, including yourself. I am in the best if health and spirits despite a day of hard labour – I thought we had finished with fatigues when we came over here but since , I have reconsidered my decision.
            Doris Arnolds programme “These you have loved” is on the hut radio so I do not miss my classical music ration. We are treated pretty fairly here with radios in all of the huts, large sheds to drill in when it rains, organised games every week N.A.A.F.I. canteens in  all 4 wings complete with reading and writing  rooms and easy chairs, so you see, we are not so badly off. Especiallly, a big point, as we have a decent sergeant – one of the best N.C.O.s on the plant. The meals are quite up to the standard to be expected in such a large kitchen, in fact, we get much better cooking than in the Intake Wing, that is the first I  went to. One good improvement in me already is that I clean my teeth, boots and buttons regularly. Another, I have converted my taste for porridge, more through necessity than choice.
            Glad you received my clothes so early, I did not expect them to arrive for some time yet. Did you check them on the list? I hope the hole was not too gaping, in the case, I mean.
            I will approach my N.C.O. about  a week-end pass soon but I shall not be able to go out of camp until (as I think I told you before) I have been in the Training Wing for 14 days, i.e. 2 Feb. – 16 Feb, next Tuesday. A week-end pass is not leave, therefore railway fares must be paid at Services prices, (single ticket price for a return ticket) it lasts from Saturday 16.00 hrs until Sunday . So it may not be long before I am home, let me warn you that I shall go to the Majestic for a shuffle, if I am in time.
            Why didn’t you take Mr. Walsh “spooning” with you on Saturday to Skipton – did you succeed in getting any? [I think this must mean sugar.}
            The rain seems to have gotten you down to the extent of using my phrases. Rain is a common factor in our daily life, although, today we saw the sun for the first time in about a week!
            Thank you very much for getting the handle, am expecting  to receive the parcel tomorrow so I will then be quite confident about my “confidentials.”
            I shall get some more paper soon, at this rate, four pages eh! Then Dad will be satisfied and so will I.
             We went outside the camp yesterday, on a route march. What a relief it was to breathe fresh country air! Still, the one I am looking forward to is the 25 mile route march – taken at the end of the eight week course.
            Well, must close with the best of luck and fondest love to all.
                                                            Your loving son
                                                                        Raymond
P.S. Better tell John about this for a letter.
                                                                        R

No comments:

Post a Comment