Wednesday 10 November 2010

Letter dated 24 January 1943: to Mrs. O Harris. 8 East Parade, Barnoldswick, Via Colne, Lancs.
2203780
“Per Ardua Ad Astra” [through adversity to the stars – ed]
Dear Mother
Just a couple of lines to let you know that I m getting on well, I suppose you will be in bed when I am writing this – Up in the morning early that’s me. Today was the earliest I’ve got up on Sunday for months. We are still at Padgate, so hold on till I tell you to write – the exchequer is quite good for a fortnight at least, then I shall get my pay (as we are paid fortnightly.) we have all been advanced 10/-(not my idea) which will be retrieved from our first pay;
As regards voluntary allowances we were advised to postpone our intention of applying for permission to join in this scheme for about two or three months so that we can settle down. The government do not allow any addition to voluntary allowances, only to dependants and other allowances.
How are Jess, Sid,  Amos and Theo? As well and happy as me I hope. All the same, I wish we could get down to brass tacks and get cracking. At present we are having a day of rest meanwhile waiting for our uniforms and kit; then perhaps we shall get posted.
Went to see Will Hay in “The Black Sheep of Whitehall” last night, it was a very good laugh. Tell Theo to see “Dangerous Moonlight” at the Palace this week - they play the Warsaw Concerto in it, of course, I would come on Friday and miss it.
That’s all for now so I will close with fondest love.
Ray
P.S. By the way, how’s yourself? Still missing your powder, I bet.
P.P.S. Hope John is O.K. Who cannot write letters? This is the fifth in two days. It’s all there is to do.  Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment